Monday 6 April 2015

Confessions of a Singing Teacher Episode 2

So, this week I have braved the dark and foamy depths of the Studio 5’s recording booth, and I have to say I feel exhausted! I am not a recording artist by any means, the stuff that can be found of mine in the world is limited to embarrassing childhood performances, (there is a taped recording of Eliza Doolittle somewhere underneath a bed gathering dust courtesy of the 14 year old me), wobbly videos of live action theatrics, and also somewhere a drunken version of Anthem from Chess… involving an actual chess set and two rather tipsy friends, ( sorry again Mum!), so as you can see, it’s not really a collection to celebrate. Never being one to shy away from a challenge though – I stepped boldly into the scariest box in the world and gave my current favourite song a good old go. So, there I am, bopping along, probably getting a bit carried away, when the music abruptly stops and I hear the, (already slightly exasperated), dulcet tones of my singing teacher turned producer saying …. ‘NOOOOOO Sadie!!!!!’ This is not an unfamiliar turn of phrase to me whilst under tutorage, so I wasn't unduly alarmed – or indeed surprised, however I was swiftly disabused of my optimistic fantasy that I would walk away at the end of the day the proud owner of a new track… Now – don’t get me wrong – recording a track in an hour to your own satisfaction is perfectly possible, however those of you who read the inaugural ‘Confessions’ blog will know, I am after vocal perfection.. every phrase every note is going to be spot on… if it kills me.. or my teacher does – whichever comes first…. Only problem is it’s really hard!

A brilliant director once said to me that stage time is precious….. us performer types should make the most of every moment we get. Another wise soul, (guess who), said to me that recording time is also a precious thing. Holding your vocals up to a microscope and hearing what others hear really can take you those last few steps down the road to awesome! 

So – a couple of paracetamol later, my note to self is: Get back in your box, keep calm, and sing on!

Sadie x

No comments:

Post a Comment